APS Accountancy. Personal tax services.

Knowing how best to manage your finances can be complex, and if you get it wrong, you risk suffering financially and running into problems with HMRC.

We have years of experience of helping people manage their personal tax affairs, ensuring they pay as little tax as possible whilst remaining 100% compliant. Our personal tax expertise covers all areas including income tax, pensions and inheritance tax. We can also assist with ISAs, Venture Capital Trusts (VCTs) and donations. How involved we get in your personal tax affairs is entirely up to you.

We believe in taking a proactive approach and will work closely with you so you fully understand how to conduct your affairs in the most tax efficient way possible. This will help ensure your tax liabilities are minimised, both now and in the future.

Why us?

Because we care.

  • Expert support – you’ll benefit from the expert knowledge and insight our team have gleaned from working with limited companies of all sizes, across all sectors.
  • Great service – you’ll get your own personal accountant who will understand your business inside out, helping your company to be as profitable as possible.
  • Competitive rates – our fixed fee packages mean you only pay for what you need, with no unexpected costs.

APS Accountancy. Personal Tax:

Sole traders

We will keep you tax bill as low as possible and ensure you are always HMRC compliant. We also offer ‘Tax Investigation Insurance’ to cover the cost of us handling any HMRC tax investigation.

Personal tax planning

We will advise you on the best ways to manage your income and investments so that you pay the minimum amount of tax required by law.


We will calculate your tax liabilities, complete the necessary forms and submit them to HMRC.

Inheritance tax

We will advise you on ways in which to minimise the amount of tax payable on your estate.

Do you need to complete a self-assessment tax return?

The most common reasons to fill out a tax return are:

  • If you are self-employed (including being in a partnership)
  • If you are a company director or a minister of religion.

You will also need to fill out a return if you receive any of the following:

  • Income from savings and investments of £10,000 or more
  • Income from untaxed income, such as savings and investments, of £2,500 or more
  • Profit from selling things like shares, a second home or personal possessions worth £6,000+
  • You receive income from overseas
  • If you or your partner receive child benefit and your income is over £50,000

Still unsure if you need to complete a tax return?